Thursday, November 25, 2010

Acceptance Part Two

I remembered another poem I pick up somewhere which beautifully illustrated that in acceptance lieth peace. This one is by Luther Patrick, a congressman who suffered the last ten years of his life with severe, crippling arthritis.

Good health was mine, robust and strong,
I met each daily task.
Great pride took I in strength I felt
'Twas all my heart could ask.
And yet a crusher struck me down
Confined me to a room.
Did I give up the fight and quit,
Surrender in my gloom?
O no, indoor turned I to search
For work I still should do
And bless all hearts, indoor I found
My living world anew.
This 'tis today, I may be cramped,
My body far from whole,
Crusher that crumpled up my frame
Completely missed my soul!

Now there was a man that knew the true meaning of acceptance!

Margaret Drabble said, "When nothing is sure - everything is possible." In working toward acceptance, nothing is sure, that is what makes it hard. But who knows what will happen? Don't give up. Like MacArthur, say, "I have just begun to fight!"

There is always hope. Julian of Norwich quotes God, "See I am God. See, I am in all things. See, I do all things. See, I never remove my hands from my works, nor ever shall without end. See, I guide all things to the end that I ordained them for, before time began, with the same power and wisdom and love with which I made them; how should anything be amiss?" if this be true, it is OK to accept because it will come right. God wills it.

No comments:

Post a Comment