Thursday, November 11, 2010

Words of wisdom

Recently, I decided that I was not really reading the Bible enough. I usually read a brief passage which was part of a daily reflection. I decided that I need to read the whole chapter instead of just the verse or two recommended. Yesterday, I was reading 2 Timothy 3 and found that the 1-5 verses could have been written for today. "But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of stress, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderous, profligate, fierce, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people." This sure seems to describe people all over the world right now.

But how are we to be in this world? I hadn't gotten far in that days readings in the Magnificat when I came to Titus 3: 1-2 "... be under the control of magistrates and authorities ( I interpret this to mean obey the law), be obedient, open to every good enterprise. Slander no one, be peaceable, considerate, exercising all graciousness toward everyone." With troubles sure to come with the economic earthquakes, it is good to have in mind principled behavior so that one doesn't give in to the heat or fears of the times.

Christ says, "Do not be afraid, I have overcome the world." But as St. Leo points out, even if we have our Lord's encouragement - the battle still rages, the struggle continues. We just know who the winner is!

No comments:

Post a Comment