Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who Are We Following?

 In one day's readings were the verses below from the Old Testament. They set me to thinking about who we are following now. The news of the shootings in Tucson yesterday made me aware again that there is a shadow group that wants uprising and violence in the United States and elsewhere in the world. You have only to read the news to see that in places where the governments have already had to deal severely with the lack of funds, the people there have taken to the streets in riots. They are being organized and fed a line that isn't true. They are being told that the government is supposed to taken care of them is every possible way. Well, it can't and good government was never intended to. These rioters are lazy. They want things handed to them. They do not want to make sacrifices.

What will the people of the United States do when money runs out here? It could come very, very soon if the congress does not vote to raise the debt ceiling. (I personally think they shouldn't. It just encourages them to spend money they don't have.) But how will people react if they don't get their welfare check, their unemployment check, etc? There are those, as I said, who are just waiting for a crisis to encourage riots here. So, read from the first Psalm and gain wisdom:

Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 1:1-2

We should cling to God because He will deal with these wicked people who are trying to get everyone to do the wrong thing.

The wicked are not so,
but are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

Psalm 1:4-6

Satan is actively trying to get the nations to conspire to have a one world government. But only God can rule the whole earth, only He is fit to. These folks have been straining indeed to get out from under all that God requires: marriage between a man and a woman, the sacredness of life for the unborn and the elderly, to love one another as neighbor.

Why do the nations conspire,
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth set themselves,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against the LORD and his anointed, saying,
"Let us burst their bonds asunder,
and cast their cords from us."

Psalm 2:1-3

 It will not go well in the end for those who defy God. And we should actively take refuge in Him, not be led astray by those who are of the world.

Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
be warned, O rulers of the earth.
Serve the LORD with fear,
with trembling, kiss his feet,
lest he be angry, and you perish in the way;
for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

Psalm 2:10-12

 There is much evil afoot in the world right now. It is enough to make me wonder if the end is not near, everything does seem to be in the power of Satan and things seem to be going his way. It is discouraging.

We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the evil one. 
1 John 5:19

But we should never despair. There is a light which the darkness can't overcome. We should follow that light. It is the light of love and hope.

The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land overshadowed by death,
on them has light shined.

Isaiah 9:2

I am by nature a pessimist. I don't expect things to go well. I worry a great deal. I have to remind myself all the time of eternal truths. I have to remind myself whose I am, who takes care of me. I want to be wise, not foolish. I want to follow the One who leads me to eternal life, not the ones who would lead me to eternal death. I have to be careful that I am not fooled. Therefore I pray: "Come Holy Spirit, give me Wisdom."

No comments:

Post a Comment